Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT)
The Master of Arts in Teaching is a graduate degree program designed for individuals who already hold a non-teaching bachelor’s degree and are interested in becoming a teacher.
Educators with outside work experience bring a unique perspective to their classrooms, helping to enrich the student experience. Earning your MAT is the first step to beginning a rewarding new chapter in your career.
Degree concentrations leading to teacher certification are available in the following areas:
- Interdisciplinary Early Childhood Education (MAT)
- Elementary Education (MAT)
- Middle Grades Education (MAT)
- Secondary Education (MAT)
What sets our program apart?
EKU is dedicated to preparing the highest quality educators and related professionals for Kentucky and beyond. EKU’s curriculum blends academic and professional preparation through course topics such as content, effective pedagogical skills, and dispositions that foster life-long growth and learning.
- 8-week terms
- Personalized graduation plans
- Study any time, from anywhere
- No campus visits required
- Core curriculum focused on training teachers as leaders while gaining expertise in a selected area
- Assignments and action research that build critical thinking skills
- Individualized attention and support from dedicated faculty and staff
- Programs are accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) and The Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
- Ranked by U.S. News among the best universities offering online degrees