Special Education — Moderate and Severe Disabilities Certification Preparation Program
EKU’s online moderate and severe disabilities certification preparation program is a graduate, non-degree granting program that focuses on best practices and promotes the knowledge and skill sets needed to advance the quality of services and educational programs for disabled students. The program meets Kentucky Education Professional Standards Board requirements and prepares educators to meet school-wide challenges and help students to reach their full potential.
Format: 100% online
Notes: If you do not hold teacher certification in Kentucky, please consult with your state’s licensing agency to determine whether our program will meet your state’s licensure requirements.
Students pursuing this option must hold an undergraduate degree and a current Kentucky Provisional Teaching Certificate in Elementary, Middle Grades, Special Education (IECE, MSD, D/HH) or High School content areas. Program graduates certified in Kentucky will be eligible to apply for openings that serve students with learning and behavior disorders (P-12).
What sets our program apart?
EKU is dedicated to preparing the highest quality educators and related professionals for Kentucky and beyond. EKU’s curriculum blends academic and professional preparation through course topics such as content, effective pedagogical skills, and dispositions that foster life-long growth and learning.
- 8-week terms
- Personalized graduation plans
- Study any time, from anywhere
- No campus visits required
- Core curriculum focused on training teachers as leaders while gaining expertise in a selected area
- Assignments and action research that build critical thinking skills
- Individualized attention and support from dedicated faculty and staff
- Programs are accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) and The Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
- Ranked by U.S. News among the best universities offering online degrees
Why choose EKU?
EKU is a regionally-accredited, brick-and-mortar university that is ranked among the nation's best colleges and has been educating students for more than a century. EKU has received numerous honors, including being named one of the best online colleges in the nation and one of the most veteran-friendly campuses.