Specialist in Education
EKU’s online specialist in education degree is a post-master’s program that fulfills the requirements for Kentucky level I principal certification and prepares highly qualified candidates for district-wide leadership. Program graduates are primed to become highly effective professional leaders who will develop productive environments for academic excellence and equity.
Format: 100% online
Credit Hours: 30 hours
2017-2018 Tuition: $500 per credit hour
Transfer Credits Accepted: 9 hours
Career Options: Principal, director of pupil personnel, supervisor of instruction, school administrator, rank 1 educator, teacher in elementary, middle and high schools
Notes: If you do not hold teacher certification in Kentucky, please consult with your state’s licensing agency to determine whether our program will meet your state’s licensure requirements.
Through EKU’s unique program, students can choose to earn level 1 principal certification and rank advancement only, or to earn level 1 supervisor of instruction and level 1 director of pupil personnel endorsements in addition to level I principal certification.
- Level 1 Principal Certification
- Supervisor of Instruction Endorsement
- Director of Pupil Personnel Endorsement
What sets our program apart?
EKU is dedicated to preparing the highest quality educators and related professionals for Kentucky and beyond. EKU’s curriculum blends academic and professional preparation through course topics such as content, effective pedagogical skills, and dispositions that foster life-long growth and learning.
- 8-week terms
- Personalized graduation plans
- Study any time, from anywhere
- No campus visits required
- Earn three degrees in one in addition to eligibility for rank advancement
- Core curriculum focused on training teachers as leaders while gaining expertise in a selected area
- Assignments and action research that build critical thinking skills
- Individualized attention and support from dedicated faculty and staff
- Programs are accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) and The Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
· Ranked by U.S. News among the best universities offering online degrees